In this podcast, Daniel takes a closer look at what it means to “Swing.” He explores the evolution of this term, shares some practical exercises to help you swing better, and explains why the ability to swing can make any drummer more employable.
What’s covered in this session:
- The origin of the term “swing,” and how it can be found in every style of American music from Ragtime through Hip Hop.
- The difficulties involved in trying to give feels based in swing (like jazz, blues shuffles, “one-drop” reggae or hip hop) the right kind of effortless bounce.
- An explanation of the “American Pulse,” a combination of European-American and African-American approaches to rhythm, and how it creates forward momentum while remaining laid back.
- How rock drummers from John Bonham and Ringo Starr to Steve Smith have emulated the American Pulse, and how all demonstrate elements of swing in their overall feel and soloing style.
- Daniel shares examples of his students from the worlds of rock, heavy metal and punk who benefited significantly from learning more about swing.