In this podcast I talk to Garrett Goodwin who has been the touring drummer for Carrie Underwood for the past 10 years. It was great to chat with Garrett about the journey behind the Carrie Underwood gig and to hear about the work he puts into his charity, KMLM.
About Garrett Goodwin
While Garrett Goodwin began his career playing in the backdrop of worship movements across the country (Zoegirl, Jeff Deyo of Sonicflood, Lindell Cooley, two-time Dove Award winner By The Tree), he has since transitioned fluidly through the musical world. He’s also performed live with Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith; on Saturday Night Live, Jimmy Fallon, The Grammy Awards, The American Music Awards, The People’s Choice Awards, Billboard Awards, among others.
Garrett resides in Nashville, Tennessee, where you’ll see him co-leading KMLM.org, a non-profit organization with the mission of sending bags that give hope to children in need. For every bag purchased, another bag full of educational materials is sent to a child.
Throughout his career, Garrett has played for over 1 million people… for each tour he’s been on, and was named #1 up and coming drummer in Modern Drummer Magazine. All this, and he’s just getting started.
“Failure is not an option, hope is not a strategy and luck is not a factor.” – James Cameron (Tweet this)
In this podcast, Garrett Goodwin and I talk about:
- How he got started playing drums
- Growing up playing music in church
- His family moving to Nashville so he could pursue music as a career
- Other passions outside of music
- The formation of his charity, KMLM
- Thoughts on Entrepreneurism
- Advice on skill vs attitude
- Daily routines, habits and managing a touring life
- Much more
Resources, links and people mentioned:
- Contact Garrett Goodwin: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Linkedin
- Know Me Love Me (KMLM) Charity
- Carrie Underwood
- JC Clifford (Drumtacs)
- DW Drums – Why do I play DW? Because they make great handcrafted drums and support and foster drumming initiatives all over the world, including this podcast.
- Dream Cymbals – Dream Cymbals keep it simple. Our their goal is to make the best sounding hand-made cymbals and gongs in the world, price them fairly and let the instruments speak for themselves. Better yet, let the instruments speak for you.
- Evans Drumheads – Drummers are talking about the Level 360 technological revolution in drumheads that allows for fast precise tuning and perfect fit every time. Level 360 ensures balanced contact with the bearing edge every time for incredible tuning range
Garrett Goodwin Plays:
- Dw Drums
- Sabian Cymbals
- Remo Drumheads
- Pro mark sticks
Like this podcast? Get even closer to A-list artist with Drummers Resource Pro: A unique way to learn from and interact with legendary drummers and music industry pros with LIVE, online Q&As and masterclsses. Lean more HERE.