In this podcast I talk to the prolific studio legend, Ash Soan. Ash, known for his current position as the house drummer for the UK’s “The Voice”, has recorded 47 top 20 albums for artists including: Cher, Seal, Robbie Williams, Billy Idol, Adele, Enrique Iglesias, Dionne Warwick and Rumer, James Morrison, Cee Lo, Celine Dion and Ronan Keating. 42 of the albums reached the top 10. Soan’s discography also includes 21 top 10 singles and to date, 17 number 1 albums and 11 number 1 singles which have been featured on various pop and rock charts around the world. As if that wasn’t enough Ash regularly appears on television shows around the world and performed at the opening ceremonies for the 2012 London Olympics.
“No one ever achieved greatness by playing it safe.” – Henry Gray (Tweet this)
In this podcast, Ash Soan talks about:
- Getting started playing drums
- Moving to London
- Moving next door to a famous bass player
- His early touring work
- His approach to grooving and listening
- Self-awareness – what it means and why it’s important for every musician
- Being honest with yourself
- Much more
Resources and links mentioned:
- Contact Ash Soan: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Pino Palladino
- Bryan Adams
- Jeff Lorber
- The Voice (UK)
- Strictly Come Dancing
Ash Soan Plays:
- Drums: Gretsch Broadkaster 22″x14″, 13″X9″, 16″X16″ 14″X 5.5″ snare. Also a 10″X9″ Tom.
- Cymbals: Zildjian 14″ vintage A Hats circa 1969, 16″, 18″ or 19″ Kerope Crash (sometimes with a new stacker spiral cymbal on top), 22″ Constantinople Renaissance Ride, 22″ Overhammered Con with an 18″ Kerope on top stack.
- Vic Firth 5A sticks.
- Remo heads.