The Revivalists are growing. Both in audience size and band members. Drummer PJ Howard, the latest addition to the band (making it a two-drummer band) may be the new guy, but according to founding drummer, Andrew Campanelli, PJ is a family member who just arrived a little late to the party.
While playing with another drummer may seem daunting and borderline competitive it’s the complete opposite for Andrew and PJ. The two seamlessly work together in a supportive, complementary approach to accomplish one goal: Serve the music. They’ve worked hard to develop their own style to be both independent and unique while at the same time subservient to the greater good – and it shows.
Andrew Campanelli & PJ Howard talk about:
- The Revivalists’ rise in fame in recent years
- The importance of building relationships in the music industry
- How they consider themselves lucky as a band
- How Andre & PJ sync with each other as a drumming duo
- PJ Howard’s journey that led to joining The Revivalists
- The origin of the name ‘The Revivalists’
- Channelling the spirit of New Orleans in their music
- Staying open to new ideas when playing live
- How key it is to educate yourself on the business side of music
- Focusing on the micro and macro aspects of making music
- Songwriting and creating different versions of songs
- Hard work and preparation
Resources / Links mentioned: