In this episode, Daniel takes a deeper look at the terms “leader” and “sideman.” While nearly every musician will take on one or both of these roles in the course of his or her career, misunderstandings about of the rights and responsibilities that accompany each role can often lead to unhappiness, frustration and even doom a project.
What’s covered in this session:
- A clear definition of what it means to be a “leader” and a “sideman,” both in a for-hire professional environment and a traditional “original band” type cooperative.
- Tips for both bandleaders and sidemen on how to best fulfill their roles.
- Why communication, mutual respect and a band agreement are usually the smartest pathway to a successful musical project.
- A great article by Danny Barnes, How To Play In Someone Else’s Band.
- Another good article, How To Be A Good Sideman.
- On the flipside, here’s the opposite perspective: 10 Essential Qualities of Great Band Leadership.
- A essential blog post entitled How to Create a Band Agreement (And Why You Need One ASAP).