In this session, Daniel breaks down the oft-heard term but mysterious term “pulse,” and shares a simple but powerful exercise called “Throw-Up,” which he’s used to help thousands of drummers clarify their grip, strengthen the internal clock, and find a much deeper pocket.
What’s covered in this session:
- Why understanding pulse is so vital for every drummer’s playing, no matter what “kind” of drummer you consider yourself to be (jazz, rock, etc.).
- A clear definition of “the American pulse” and what makes it so unique and important.
- An introduction to Daniel’s patented “throw-up” exercise, which is designed to help you effortlessly play (and more importantly, FEEL) the American Pulse.
- A system for practicing the “throw-up” and some musical examples to use as a guide.
- A video of Daniel demonstrating the “Throw-Up” Exercise in the French Grip.
- Daniel’s live lesson called “The Evolution of Timekeeping” on Drumeo. Includes a great deal of information about Pulse and a demonstration of the Throw-Up Exercise.
- “Freddie Freeloader,” the perfect “Throw-Up” practice tune for French Grip (Ride Cymbal)
- “When the Levee Breaks,” the perfect “Throw-Up” practice tune for German Grip (Hi Hat)
- “Hard Work,” the tune I practiced along with more than 500 times!