In this podcast, Daniel continues his deep dive into Royal Crown Revue’s two-year saga on the fabled Warped Tour. Highlights include the making of Royal Crown’s award winning video for “Barflies at the Beach,” and the experience of playing on Warped’s rare international forays to Europe, Australia and Japan.
What’s covered in this session:
- The unlikely story of how a swing band ended up on a punk rock tour for nearly two years.
- How Royal Crown Revue’s song “Barflies at the Beach” won a week of heavy airplay on MTV.
- Double decker tour buses, vicious eye infections, and gargantuan music festivals. All part of RCR’s experience on the 1997 European warped tour.
- More of Daniel’s “Forrest Gump” moments, including the time that Josh Freese learned 311’s set in 20 minutes, and Travis Barker played his first show with Blink 182.
- Warped Tour Wikipedia site.
- RCR performing live on the 1997 Warped Tour.
- The video for “Barflies at the Beach,” shot during Warped Tour ’97 in Panama City, FL.
- Promo for the MTV show “12 Angry Viewers,” won by Royal Crown Revue in 1997.
- Fletcher Dragge from Pennywise throws up on Rikki Rachtman during Loveline.
- Fletcher smashes his guitar over a poor, unsuspecting drummer and his set. Something very similar happened to me during the Australian portion of the Warped Tour (January, 1998).