In this session, Daniel shares the strange but true story of his 1991 “Halloween audition” with the legendary “mock rock” band Spinal Tap (which took place in the end zone of the L.A. Coliseum). And yes, there is photographic evidence to go with the story!
What’s covered in this session:
- Daniel describes his obsession with British rock’n’roll musicians while growing up in Hawai’i in the 1970s.
- Why the film This Is Spinal Tap became an instant classic upon its release in 1984, and why it’s deeper than just another comedy.
- How Daniel learned about and prepared for the 1991 audition while a music student in Los Angeles.
- Why This Is Spinal Tap ceased to be a favorite film of Daniel’s after he became a professional musician.
- How Daniel’s musical life has continued to intersect with Spinal Tap years in the years since the audition.