In this podcast, go with Daniel behind the scenes at Birdland – one New York’s legendary jazz clubs. Since 2011, Daniel has performed nearly every Monday night at Birdland, as part of a show called “Cast Party.” Daniel talks about how he got the gig, the challenges of “nailing it” without the benefit of rehearsal or a set list, and speaks with Gianni Valenti, Birdland’s owner since 1985.
What’s covered in this session:
- The story of how Daniel scored a weekly gig at one of the world’s top jazz clubs.
- The challenges involved with playing a high-profile gig that requires “nailing it” without the benefit of rehearsal or a set list.
- Understanding why focus and concentration are just as important as chop and grooves.
- A conversation with the owner of Birdland, Gianni Valenti, who shares stories of the club’s storied past, and takes you behind the scenes into the world of New York jazz.
- The official Birdland Website.
- Birdland Wikipedia page.
- A photo of Daniel with Gianni Valenti, the owner of Birdland.
- The amazing Gunhild Carling visits Cast Party, Daniel’s regular Monday night gig at Birdland.
- The official Cast Party website.
- Daniel’s Podcast on The Importance of Preparation. Years of preparation made it possible for me to grab the opportunity that came my way with Cast Party.