In this session Daniel lays out the interesting perspective of a left-handed drummer in a right-handed world. The title focuses on right-handed drummers, because most lefties are probably already aware of the points being made. The phrase “For Right-Handed Drummers Only!” also has a dual meaning, because it serves as a signpost in the life of a lefty – a constant reminder that the world is not exactly designed for them.
What’s covered in this session:
- Daniel discusses the experience, some might say the “plight,” of the misunderstood minority known as the left-handed drummer.
- Why bother talking about this issue? Some choose right and some choose left. But for lefties, the difference IS kind of a big deal, because it affects them all the time, and often not in very positive ways.
- Three categories in which the world reacts to left-handed drummers: confusion or shock, undue admiration, and annoyance.
- The various ways in which left-handed drummers experience “discrimination” on a regular basis.
- Advice for drum teachers whose students might be lefty.